This is actually a supercool idea. Here’s a quick rundown:
- Sexism is the structure of gender norms and their policing.
- Functions of gender norms include body policing and body norms (body type, skin color, weight, height, voice, fat distribution, hair color, hair distribution, genital type).
- One aspect of gender norms is gender essentialism (the concept that a man IS a thing and a woman IS another thing, and both are fixed, absolute, and exhaustive categories).
- Gender essentialism includes the cissexist (← that means ‘non-trans-ist’) assumption that a physical sex and a metaphysical gender are fundamentally linked. It assumes that ‘penis IS man’ and ‘woman IS vagina.’ This leaves out lots of people, like someone with a vagina who identifies genderqueer, or someone who is intersex but identifies as a man. (From 2. and 3.)
- Thus, sexism and transphobia can be linked in analogy: There’s not a whole lot of difference between refusing to go out with someone because of their weight and refusing to go out with someone because of their genitals. (From 2. and 4.)
- Thus, transphobia is an instance of sexism as it is fundamentally an act of the policing of gender norms. (From 1. and 5.)
Some other cool points I like…
- It stops postulating trans* as necessarily different than the norm. (However, it does carry the potential hazard of reabsorbing trans* into the invisible margin.)
- I hate “*phobia” terms because they are terribly misleading.
(For those of you who are also philosophy majors, the above is not intended to be a formal argument.)
(EDIT: Please look through the various critiques on my page about this post. This should be seen as an invitation into discussion and a very rough draft attempting to explore the intersectionality, connections, and similarities between sexism and cissexism. Attempting to combine the two has some cissexist consequences. Thank you to genderbitch and pianycist for the critiques.)
- thepeacockangel likes this
- thewomaninsideme likes this
- redlightpolitics likes this
- jhameia reblogged this from jemimaaslana
- mry-j likes this
- brownroundboi likes this
- transsexualferox reblogged this from genderbitch
- transsexualferox likes this
- callhermayday likes this
- jemimaaslana reblogged this from genderbitch and added:
- meangay reblogged this from genderbitch
- genderbitch reblogged this from glitterbombing and added:
- glitterbombing reblogged this from metapianycist and added:
- man-themed said: transphobia can be cissexism.
- floorofgiraffes likes this
- lucypaw reblogged this from genderbitch and added:
- bubonickitten likes this
- corona--graminea likes this
- occult-symmetry likes this
- rich-whiteboy likes this
- perversevere reblogged this from glitterbombing
- perversevere likes this
- alienschoolgirl likes this